Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Riding hard while working for victims

We rode 200+ miles yesterday, more than half of it in the rain and stinging cold.  My wool socks were soaked.   Ice was forming around my toes.  Though I had heated handgrips, my mesh gloves did nothing to fend off the water and the wind.  It was tough.  Eric and I compared it to the day we rode from Idaho, through Montana to the west entrance of Yellowstone; raw, wet, searing cold.  Ouch.


Conditions improved considerably when we stopped for lunch at the Plum Point Motel and Restaurant.  The vegetable beef soup, hot chocolate and grilled cheese sandwiches were transformative.  At that moment I considered them to be among the world's greatest treasures.  Aaaaahhh!


Under the table I dried my feet and swapped out my socks.  I don't know if the waitress noticed but I didn't care.  I dug out my down gloves.  They ended up making a world of difference.  With warm feet and hands and no rain, the afternoon stretch was glorious.  We entered Gros Morne National Park with the horizon sun lighting up the mountains to the east.   It was a bewitching moment as we strolled into Cow Head just before dusk.


We settled in last night at our previous home, the Shallow Bay Motel.  After a nice dinner (Eric had the salmon, I had a Caesar Salad with chicken) we headed next door to the Gros Morne Theatre Festival production of "Fly me to the Moon."  It was a terrific two-women comedy.  I loved it.  So did Eric.  Afterwards, I had a beer at the hotel bar while Eric called Celia.  We were in bed with lights off by 11.


Having Bluetooth intercoms on our helmets has been a blessing and a curse.  It's great being able to warn each other of potential road hazards, discuss plans for the coming days, talk about things going on in our lives and much more.  The downside of the intercoms is that Eric receives many phone calls throughout the day from clients, staff, opposing attorneys and journalists.  He's representing many N.E. prep school sex abuse victims.  There are serious settlement discussions going and people on all sides are wanting to talk to him.  


Of course the media has its nose in it too.  The New Haven Record had an article the other day (see link) and 


http://www.myrecordjournal.com/news/latestnews/10868057-154/after-helping-to-break-silence-about-sexual-misconduct-at-choate.html#gallery-1


other articles are coming.  It's amazing that we can be on motorcycles 500 miles up the Newfoundland peninsula in the most remote place I've ever been, and these people are tracking Eric down.  


It was abhorrent what was happening on prep school campuses throughout the 80's and 90's.  Eric doe not share client details with me but it is clear that these people, women and men, have suffered horrible trauma.  The past cannot be undone.  However, Eric helps provide them some comfort by way of negotiated financial compensation.  It's important work.  I admire his commitment to it and to those who have suffered.


After breakfast, we're off to Port aux Basque  for the return ferry to Nova Scotia on Thursday.  Another long day of riding ahead but th forecast is for clear skies and slightly higher temperatures.  Phew!




Sent from George's iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment