Friday, September 29, 2017

The final ride

Eric's take... 

The last day of riding was on a ferry,  not a motorcycle. After an afternoon of terror the previous day, it was a peaceful 6 hour ferry ride over to Nova Scotia. But what a great trip! I heartily recommend  Newfoundland. It's a shame we did not have more time. I wished we had been able to take the West Brook boat ride into the fjord of Gros Morne and the hike in Tablelands is apparently not to be missed, but we did! The people are wonderful. Warm, open hearted and funny. They speak in a tongue that is virtually incomprehensible but it is a lovely one. Also amazing camaraderie with my friend George. His ability to connect with the locals is a sight to behold even if you can't understand them. He's much too young to retire. A very quick mind and a dry sense of humor that is enormously entertaining. Margot please let him do more motorcycle trips; I could not possibly keep up on a bicycle!!!


George's take...


Last night, after a lazy day on the Newfoundland - Nova Scotia ferry, we loaded the bikes into the trailer and drove a few hours before crashing for the night at the Travelodge in New Glasgow, NS.


The Travelodge, a rundown place, could use some management help.  On Hotels.com, we had reserved a no-smoking room with two beds. When we arrived, all that remained was a smoking room with one queen bed.  No thank you.


After jousting for 10 minutes, with a line of tired travelers behind us, we worked out a solution.  They would clean an unoccupied first floor non-smoking single suite for Eric.  I would take the smoking single up on the third floor, along with a can of air freshener.  I was lucky.  There was a distant smell of smoke in my room but one I could deal with.  It took them 30 minutes to ready Eric's place.  By 11:30, we were settled into our respective rooms the night.


After an early morning workout in yet another modest hotel fitness room, I went to the lobby for breakfast; a packet of oatmeal, a small glass of juice concentrate, a five ounce blueberry yogurt cup and an apple for the road.  I then went up to shower as Eric emerged to eat.  We met a the truck at 8:30 and were quickly on the road.  Ten hours later we pulled into Portland where Eric dropped me off at the Concord Coach bus station. 

From there, an easy two hour bus trip to Boston's South Station.  I am now on the MBTA Green Line on the last leg of the journey.


Eric and I had a memorable two weeks exploring the northeast corner of our continent.  We experienced Newfoundland & Labrador in all its natural glory.  Extreme weather conditions, dramatic coast lines, sweeping barrens, seabirds, moose, caribou, whales, icebergs, the northern lights - its all part of this remote province.  At the right time of year, and with a little luck, you can see it all.


I'm grateful to be able to take these trips with Eric. We explore together, challenge each other, share, muse, tease and laugh together.  Oh, do we laugh.  Eric's friendship and the camaraderie are a big part what makes the trips special.  Thank you, my friend. 


A fellow traveler said to me awhile back; "You never want it to end and you can't wait to go home."  I feel the same way.  I love visiting new places, meeting fun and interesting people and experiencing different cultures.  But, home is where my heart is; my equilibrium, my life's routines, my friendships, my family and especially my loving wife, Margot.  There's no place like home.



Until our next adventure.

-george



Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment